Josie Harrington07970 889401
Josie offers Yoga Therapy and 1-2-1 private yoga sessions.
Josie is a Qualified Yoga Therapist (Yoga Therapist for mental health, Minded Institute, London) and has over 20 years experience working as a senior registered mental health nurse in the NHS. She combines these skills, knowledge & passion to support individuals using a holistic approach to health and wellbeing.
Introductory rate until September 2019
Individual session – £40 – (£48 – after Sept)
Five sessions – £190 – (£225 – after Sept)
What is Yoga Therapy?
Yoga Therapy is a holistic treatment which understands the connection between body, mind, emotions & spirit.
Yoga Therapy brings together elements of Yoga Psychology, Neuroscience, Medical Physiology and Yoga philosophy.
It can be tailored for specific health conditions or to help manage a difficult or stressful life event.
Yoga therapy may include all or some of the following;
- Breath– how we breathe and patterns of breathing have a direct impact on mood and energy levels. Explore breath practices to increase resilience, support emotions to improve health & wellbeing.
- Mind– understand the relationship between our thoughts & thinking patterns on our health – increase awareness & explore techniques for a quieter mind.
- Body– bringing kind awareness to our bodies & posture in both movement and stillness has far reaching benefits.
- Emotions – understand emotions & how to find a fresh perspective & different relationship with them.
- Spiritual– yoga philosophy is steeped in wisdom to help understand the importance of connection to ourselves, others, life, the planet.
- Relaxation– practices that bring us into more balance from the impact of stress & the busyness of modern day life.
The emphasis of Yoga Therapy can be on any or all of the above – it is client led & tailored to meet you where you are at.
In essence yoga therapy empowers individuals to improve their mental and physical health in a sustainable, realistic and safe way. Supporting clients to overcome their challenges, increase independence and live to their full potential.
Yoga Therapy can help to:
- Develop physical strength, flexibility and confidence
- Increase body awareness & acceptance
- Develop emotional regulation skills
- Develop mindfulness & meditation skills
- Promote self-care, self-esteem & confidence
- Greater connection with life, others, theuniverse!
- Increases resilience and ability to cope with life’s ups and downs
- Increase capacity for relaxation & calm
Yoga therapy can help with many challenges and symptoms – Josie has a professional interest in; Stress, anxiety, depression, sleep, chronic pain, transitions, digestive health, trauma, loss / grief, addictions.
However it can also help with; Parkinsons, Dementia/ Alzheimer’s, Immune Conditions, PTSD, ADHD, Addictions, Asthma / COPD, support during Cancer treatment, Chronic Fatigue. Please do get in touch if you’d support with any of these.
According to the International Association of Yoga Therapists
“Yoga therapy is the process of empowering individuals to progress toward improved health and well-being through the application of the teachings and practices of Yoga.”
What to expect;
- The first time we meet, we will discuss your unique needs.
- I recommend a minimum of five sessions – this tends to be enough time to see & feel a change. Fewer sessions are also available.
- You may continue with other forms of treatments or therapies such as psychotherapy, medication, CBT.
- I will suggest practices for you to do at home. Yoga therapy is about teaching people the skills to help themselves in their own lives. It encourages responsibly & empowerment.
- I will bring my skills and experience as a mental health nurse into our sessions – I have over 20 years experience in the NHS.
- I have training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Motivational Interviewing, Brief Solution Therapy.
- Sessions may include breath work, movement, postures, mindfulness, body & mind awareness, relaxation practices
- Sessions are client-led, client-focused, and compassion-focused. I aim to meet you where you are at.
About Josie’s Training
Josie completed her training as a yoga therapist at the Minded institute in London – a 2 year course (500 hours).
Link to the training course https://themindedinstitute.com/training-courses/500-hour-professional-certificate-in-yoga-therapy/
Josie trained as a yoga teacher in Bristol, at the Yogasara Academy – 500 hour advanced teacher training. Registered Independent Yoga Network (IYN).
She is a Qualified Yoga Nidra teacher, a practice that encourages deep relaxation, creativity and healing. It can help with a range of health problems e.g. pain management, sleep difficulties, low mood, anxiety, low energy and stress.
Josie worked as a senior mental health nurse in the NHS for over 20 years & enjoyed many varied jobs working in hospitals and the community, with both adults and young people with a wide range of difficulties including; addiction, trauma, eating disorders, anxiety psychosis, sleep, stress, anxiety and depression.
She has training and experience of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Motivational Interviewing (MI), Brief Solution Therapy (BSF), Coaching, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
- There were no results found.